Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables


Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables

This recipe was from my Everyday Food magazine and was really delicious. So delicious that my husband who refuses (and I am NOT making this up) to eat any type of vegetables ate the entire thing! I like it because it was surprisingly filling and really light. The only additions I made were to add a splash of white wine when I added the gnocchi to the vegetables. We ate it last week as a main dish and tonight as a side dish. To do it as a side dish I just made less.

UPDATE: I wanted to add that I used less butter, cheese, and olive oil then the recipe called for.

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 zucchini or summer squash, or one of each (about 2 pounds total), quartered and sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 package (15 to 16 ounces) frozen gnocchi
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Directions

  1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add squash and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until juicy, about 2 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook gnocchi according to package instructions. Reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid, drain gnocchi and transfer to skillet. Toss gnocchi, adding enough cooking liquid to create a sauce. Remove from heat and stir in basil, cheese, butter, and lemon juice.






0 remarks:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin