Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Deborah's Dish

I'm not a big fan of casseroles. There's something mushy, bland and all around non-appealing to me. Plus it seems people just mix whatever they want and put in the oven and tada....they have a casserole.

Did anyone see that episode of Tori & Dean this season where she made a casserole with noodles, ground beef, cheese and HOT DOGS?! What the hay??

BUT.....

My favorite casserole that I could make once a week (everything in moderation) is a dish my family refers to as Deborah's Dish.

The name come from a woman who brought a meal to my family after my mom had just had sibling number 7 (only 8 of us,not 19 plus a grandkid like those crazy Duggars). Ms. Deborah didn't have a real name for it so my family just called it, Deborah's Dish.

It's such a good dish I decided to share it with you fine folks.

Deborah's Dish
This recipe makes enough for a family of 4 or 6. I like to make it this size because it's good leftover for lunch for the week.

2 boxes of long grain wild rice
1-2 pounds of chicken
2 cans of cream of chicken
2 cans of cream of mushroom
1 medium onion (diced)
8 oz of sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons of dijon mustard (my own addition)
salt & pepper
garlic powder
parsley

1. Cook the rice according to the box

2. Dice the onion and cut mushrooms into 4's (I don't like the huge pieces)

3. Saute onions in a bit of evoo. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Saute mushrooms (add a sprinkle of salt) for 3-5 minutes

4.Cut chicken into cubes and sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder. Saute chicken until just about done.

5. Mix cream soups together and reserve about 1 cup.

6. Mix rice,onions,mushrooms,and chicken into the cream mix. Season (to taste) with salt, pepper, garlic powder and the dijon mustard.

7.Pour mixture into a casserole pan and spread reserved cup of cream sauce on top and sprinkle with parsley

8. Place pan on a cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

9. Let stand for 10-15 minutes.

Don't overcook the chicken or mushrooms because they will finish cooking in the oven. The oven gives the top a crusty,golden crust.

This recipe is being incorrectly added to the becoming skinny section. I'm sure the cream soups don't help the caloric count, but I don't have a section for becoming fat. EVERYTHING IN MODERATION AYE?

If you make it tell me what you think, if you thinks it gross, then don't tell me.




Photobucket

0 remarks:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin