Monday, April 19, 2010

Becoming Mommy

Do you remember when you first meet your husband/significant other and how it felt when he called you by a pet name? I used to get butterflies (and still do) whenever Shawn would call me by some lovey name, even as simple as "Baby" would make me swoon. It wasn't until someone started calling me Ma and then Mama, and now Mommy that I feel positively tickled all the way to the bottom of my toes. Phoenix started off calling me "Ma!" (always with an exclamation point at the end I'm sure) and then that quickly turned into "Mama". For awhile that's what I was to him (and every once in awhile I would be "Alex").....I never thought it would get sweeter than "Mama" but out of the blue last week he started calling me "Mommy" and when I heard it I started crying. Who knew that that one word would make me feel so good? Of course its not so cute when he's calling me and I'm not answering and so its a long string of whiny "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" until I jump up and down and say "Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix! What do you want now!?" 


No wonder my mom changed her name that one time and wouldn't tell us what it was.....


French - Mere  * German - Mutter * Hindi - Maji * Urdu - Ammee * 
English - Mom, Mummy, Mother Italian - Madre * Portuguese - Mãe * Albanian - Mëmë; Nënë; Burim; Kryemurgeshë Belarusan - Matka * Cebuano - Inahan; Nanay * Serbian - Majka * Czech - Abatyse Dutch - Moeder; Moer * Estonian - Ema * Frisian - Emo, Emä, Kantaäiti, Äiti Greek - Màna Hawaiian - Makuahine * Hungarian - Anya, Fu * Ilongo - Iloy; Nanay; Nay * Indonesian - Induk, Ibu, Biang, Nyokap


No matter how you choose to say it, being called Mommy, Mom, or Mama is truly one of the sweetest sounds ever. Last week during bath I was able to grab him on video saying Mommy. You'll also get about a minute worth of conversation with his Yaya (Greek for Grandmother) and me in 2nd video whispering "Mommy" to him and him whispering back to me. Oh yeah, that's a new trick of his. Telling you secrets in your ear. 






3 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin